Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Big Snow, Little Italy


Now for something that is a bit outside of my comfort zone - urban street photography.  

There is a small section of the large metropolitan area I live near called "Little Italy".   As the name implies, this was a very dynamic Italian neighborhood for the last 100+ years.   In more recent years, the area has become an arts district with trending shops, galleries and a wide variety of restaurants and famous bakeries.    The middle class feel of the area remains.  


Several years ago, I was visiting a friend who lives in the area during a heavy winter storm.   I was fascinated at the scene of piled snow and limited driving in the area.    I had thought of trying to revisit during a snow event to photography the scene. 


Finally the combination of available time and wintery conditions all came together.   I just had to battle the elements to walk and photograph the scenes.  


I really enjoyed finding and capturing the street scenes, but as I told some friends, unless I live near this area in the future, I'm not fighting the traffic again to photograph this scene.    The driving was terrible, but luckily I got home without any incidents and have some nice images to remember the scene by.



No comments:

Post a Comment