Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Glendale Cemetery

As the famous British comedy team Monty Python used to say "and now for something completely different".

Trying new and creative expressions with the camera is something that gives me new challenges.  For example  I have shared a few videos I have completed in an earlier blog.   Now we depart the natural subjects that so captivates me, and move toward the beautiful sculptured forms in the famous Akron Ohio Glendale Cemetery.

In 1839, the Glendale cemetery became the first chartered cemetery in Ohio and only the third in the young united states.   Its beautiful monuments, chapel, architecture and monuments are deeply inspiring.

I visited the cemetery for the first time a few weeks ago and was immediately drawn to the beautiful monuments.    Here are a few thoughts I have from that beautiful morning:





As I walked the grounds, the chasing patterns of the bright fall day sun continued to change the shape, texture and feel of different areas in the cemetery.











The monuments would take form against the fading fall trees and grounds.  It was magical to see the transformation as the sun moved through the sky.








My exploration of these beautiful grounds is just beginning.  I have a lot of plans to visit under different light and weather to capture more emotions from this beautiful cemetery.

You can view my first set of images on my web site:

No comments:

Post a Comment