Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Summer Dragons

Female Twelve Spotted Skimmer on Spiderwort

Over the last week, I've been fortunate enough to share some wonderful mornings with one of my favorite subjects - dragon flies.

Mature Male Twelve Spotted Skimmer

These two twelve spotted skimmers were really a nice find.   I had never gotten nice images of them in past years.   Finding both the male and female in a few days of each other makes the early excursions exciting.

Mature Male Calico Pennant

My favorite dragon fly is the calico pennant.  They are very tolerant of photographers and have some of the most beautiful patterns on there wings.  The males turn a beautiful deep red when they are mature and ready to hit the dragon fly 'dating scene'.

When I head out in the mornings, it is a real treat to find these flying jewels amongst the grasses.  Hope I can continue to find some of these to share over the summer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment